The management of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU) has shut down the University with immediate effect following students protest on Monday.

The students were protesting the gruesome murder of their 500 level colleague, Joseph Obiaje Agabaidu, of the Geology department, at the Yelwa campus of the University.

The closure was contained in a press statement signed by Hajia Fatima Inuwa Abdullahi, the Deputy Registrar Academic for the Registrar.

The statement said the Vice Chancellor, on behalf of the Senate has approved the closure of the University for an initial period of one week with effect from Monday December 4 to Sunday December 10, 2023.

“Therefore, I am directed to request all undergraduates students on both campuses , to vacate the University premises with immediate effect as failure to comply may lead to appropriate sanction by the constituted authority,” the statement stated.

It directed the Dean of students Affairs Division and the Chief Security Officer to ensure strict compliance of the directive

He was allegedly stabbed to death by suspected armed robbers who tried to steal his phone.

The protest started around 8: 00 am at Yelwa gate with the heavy presence of police who prevented the students from coming outside the University campus by shutting the gate.

They tried to disperse the students with tear gas while the students in turn blocked the entrance of the Yelwa Campus.

An eye witnessed said the protesting students turned deaf ear to the Deputy Professor Sani Usman Kunya, Vice Chancellor Academic who tried to appease them to sheath their sword.

It will be recalled that the protesting students expressed concern over what they termed the failure of the government and school management to provide adequate security for students staying off-campus.

The students were enraged about the gruesome murder of Agabaidu said to be the eldest among four children of his family.

Agabaudu, who hailed from Ankpa Local Government Area of Kogi State, was returning to his lodge situated around the Yelwan Tudu market at about 7.00pm on Saturday, when he was waylaid and killed.

He was said to have succumbed to injuries and passed away on Sunday morning.

It was learnt that last December another student lost his life in a phone-related struggle.

Addressing the press later in the day, the Director, Information and Public Relations, Zailani Bappa, said the University was close to avert the situation from deteriorating.



StatePress is an online newspaper with wide and extensive coverage of socio political events in the Nigerian States, African Continent and beyond.  We break the news, focus on issues without bias and maintain highest level of professionalism in discharging our social responsibility.

Post A Comment: