Suspected Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists have intercepted and set ablaze three trucks transporting fish at Mile-forty in Magumeri Local Government Area of Borno State.

The incident, according to some of the affected drivers, occurred at about 1:00pm on Thursday while they were heading to Maiduguri with their goods.

The attackers reportedly stopped the vehicles and set them on fire.

“Thank God that all the drivers escaped but the three vehicles: two Peugeot J5 and a school bus loaded with fish were burnt down,” said a security source.

One of the drivers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, narrated his ordeal.

“We parked the vehicles and ran into the bush. Thank God we all made it alive but I watched helplessly as the only means of my livelihood got burnt to ashes. Tell the government to do something on that road.

“Before, they used to abduct people and demand ransom from families, but they frequently intercept vehicles these days to loot and burn them down,” he said.

The driver again appealed to the federal government and security agencies to deploy more troops along the route to safeguard commuters and traders.

The latest attack comes days after a similar incident on February 10, 2026, when insurgents intercepted four trailers conveying cows from Monguno to Maiduguri. The assailants reportedly rustled over 100 cows and burnt the vehicles.

Four days before that, another convoy of four trucks carrying beans from Monguno to Maiduguri was blocked and set ablaze at Garin Kashim in Guzamala LGA.

Several truck drivers operating along the corridor told our correspondent that the absence of adequate security presence has emboldened insurgents to carry out repeated attacks.

“It has become a daily occurrence now and no action has been taken. From Maiduguri, one can only find a military checkpoint at Gajaganna, Gajiram, and the new one in Mairari, then Monguno.

“Unless the government takes this seriously, livestock and grain businesses that begin to thrive in those areas would soon collapse. Because, we can no longer risk our lives and vehicles on thatk road,” he said.

He urged security agencies to strengthen patrols along the route, similar to the strategy adopted on the Gwoza axis where troops are strategically stationed to deter attacks.
“Many truck owners have now withdrawn their vehicles from this road. These things kept happening and no action has been taken so far,“ he said.

(DAILY TRUST)

Axact

STATE PRESS

StatePress is an online newspaper with wide and extensive coverage of socio political events in the Nigerian States, African Continent and beyond.  We break the news, focus on issues without bias and maintain highest level of professionalism in discharging our social responsibility.

Post A Comment: